Monday, December 8, 2008

Marmageddon!


Hi everyone! We don't have Gus' 30 below temperatures here, but it's been awfully cold. So cold in fact that on Saturday, I refused to go on my afternoon walk. The pics of Wimsey looking unhappy in his halti inspired me to wage my own houndly campaign of resistance. I planted my feet, hung my head (causing some sinister-looking wrinkles), and flatly refused to move. Mom finally decided it was too cold to stand outside and beg me to go, so I was returned to the comfort of my lounge chair and Mom went on about bloodhound stubborness.
If you're wondering about the title of this post, it's the new word Mom and Dad thought up to use when I exhibit particularly houndly behavior, most of which involve making some kind of mess. Recent examples are:
Eating canned food--it gets EVERYWHERE--my snout, my ears (perhaps I need a snood), on the walls, the floor... you name it. Mom always stands by with a wet rag for the wipedown.
Counter-surfing (the successful kind where I actually find and decimate something). The most recent episode involved Dad's spent grains from beer brewing, sitting in a bowl on the counter ready for me to take down and enjoy. Unfortunately, the bowl falling got Dad's attention and he snatched the yummy stuff away before Bernie and I could really go to town... oh well, next time.
My howl when I want to run over and sniff someone or tell off other dogs--usually the not-so-nice dogs in the neighborhood. My voice reverberates through the entire neighborhood--it's rather impressive, really.

Anyway, as promised are some pics of me in my new sweater, which is very snuggly and comfy indeed. Hound fashion and function at its finest. A-roo!


3 comments:

Bentley said...

It sounds like you are showing a great deal of excellent bloodhound behavior - resisting what the humans want you to do, drooling excessively howling, acquiring all food items left in range! Keep up the good work.

You look so fine in your new sweater - the red color is very becoming to a hound such as you!

I do think you might like a snood as well. It does keep the ears cleaner, but, even with a snood, it's quite possible to fling drool everywhere. (my mom stands by with a towel when I eat and drink too!). But she's got to be really fast, and a lot of the time I can shake before she can swoop in with the towel!

Edie and Gus said...

Hi Marmalade!
Love the red coat! Dimond Willow has a new red coat too. Looked really good until I chewed a hole in the back of it---while she was wearing it! Dimond can definitely relate to your resistance to the cold. She is the "picky" hound in our pack. Runs to the door to go out, then skids to a halt when she smells how cold it actually is. She does okay until about -20 or -30. Then the booties have to go on, as she has absolutely no fur between her pads. Definitely a southern hound, that one.

The Marmageddon photo is spectacular!! I am wondering if you are ever called "Marmie-pig" with a snout like that??!! You must be putting on weight now!!

Happy pigging,

Gus, Frozen Hound of the Great North

Edie and Gus said...

Okay, Marmalade, Edie and I have finally done it. We made a blog so we can share pictures and videos with our bloodhound buddies! Check out the first installment at aksoundhoundz.blogspot.com

Hope your family made it home safe and sound!

Hugs,
Gus of the North