Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Leaf pile adventures

The weather turned cool and the leaves have really started to turn and fall to the ground. Fall is a great season for us hounds--all these smells--mold, decomposing stuff galore--yum! Us hounds have it good. The humans spent the afternoon raking while we hung out and sniffed. Here's Bernie lying in his favorite leaf pile. I don't lie in the piles, especially since Bernie likes to "mark" them...



I don' t mark, but I sure sniff. I smelled squirrel and even the cat that's been eating on the porch.



The humans get mad when I eat yucky stuff in the yard, but I'm a hound--I can't resist!



This hound sure does get tired at the end of the day, though... So tired that I decided to take up two dog beds instead of one. My humans call it "bloodhound sprawl". The photo below shows my massive paws--which lately are in the habit of socking Mom in the face while she's sleeping. It's not my fault she takes up so much of the bed. Perhaps I should petition for my own futon, like Wimsey has...



Anyway, I'm off to the vet tomorrow for a weigh-in and some bloodwork, which means the vet techs will love on me and tell me I'm such a good girl, and so on. The best part is I get to ride shotgun (I have a doggie seat belt that keeps me safe). It's funny watching people pull up next to us and seeing their reaction when they see a large hound staring at them. It takes so little to keep humans entertained...

6 comments:

Bentley said...

Oh yes, leaves are so much fun! What I don't understand is why the humans have to keep moving them around into piles and then hauling them off!

Good luck at the vet tomorrow - I hope everything turns out A-OK!

We'll all be thinking good thoughts for you.

Bentley

D.K. Wall said...

Best of luck at the V-E-T.

Know what you mean by humans staring. When we all ride in the Jeep, people - for some strange reason - stare at the sight of 6 Siberians in the back of the seat (also in seat belts). Why would they do that?

Bernie said...

Did well at the vet and am up to a whopping 62 lbs. Mom is really happy and the vet techs came out and said I look great. Snoozed all the way home--love the seat warmer in the car! Off to take a nice long nap now.

Bentley said...

Yay, that's good news. Stay healthy Marmalade!

Bentley

Wimsey said...

Bloodhound sprawl, yup, Maria says I expand to fill the space - whatever space that might be!

Glad the vet work came back good!

Wimsey

Edie and Gus said...

Great news at the vet! Sounds like you have been full of energy, playing fetch and all with your humans.
I love riding in the car too, but actually I'm usually in the back of the truck in a crate. I enjoy showing the passing cars how much spit I can hang from the bars. In the winter I have to ride in Edie's car, which she swears I cover in spit within 3.2 seconds of getting in.
Love the massive paws! Didn't Wimsey recently give Maria a black eye with his?